List:       suse-linux-uk-schools
Subject:    Re: [opensuse-edu] what does LTSP\thin client technology mean to
From:       "Ralph H. Stoos Jr." <rstoos () eng ! mc ! xerox ! com>
Date:       2007-07-20 14:13:56

Phil Thane wrote:
> On Thursday 19 July 2007 14:16:58 Andy Trevor wrote:
>
>> The core of LTSP technology is sound and a no brainer.  The killer here
>> in the UK is the lack of "quality" educational apps.
>>

> I'm pushing Linux and FLOSSIE in Wales (with zero success so far). As an
> ex-Design & Tech teacher a real sticking point is CAD. There's plenty of high
> end pro CAD out there at a high end price, but I think the UK is pretty
> unique in doing D&T the way we do so demand for a child proof CAD package is
> limited.
>
> Two bits of good news;
>
> 1. TechSoft's 2D Design works OK under WINE. I used to be support manager at
> TechSoft and tested it years ago. Two minor snags, toolboxes take on GIMP
> like qualities and don't stay with the main window when you minimise. Filled
> arrow heads on dimensions produce a screen draw error, but filled arrows look
> ugly anyway so choose open and it works OK.
>
> 2. VariCAD is a simple 2D/3D CAD package that works well on basic PCs under
> most forms of Linux. Imports and exports all the usual CAD formats. Only snag
> is it's not free. The student version is £50, I'd like to see some schools or
> education authorities get together and persuade VariCAD to do school site
> licences a lot cheaper.
>
> My personal preference would be to get the Welsh Assembly to sponsor an Open
> Source educational CAD package, taking some of the good stuff that's already
> out there and developing a kid proof version.
>
> At the moment it's more likely they'll do a deal with PTC to buy ProEngineer
> for Windows. That really p****s me off because, freedom issues aside for a
> moment, it's way too complex for most kids (and teachers) and just helps
> entrench Windows as the de facto OS for schools for another (school)
> generation just as PTC's ProDesktop did in the late 90s.

Phil,

I am not a recent CAD user.  My last dalliance with CAD was AutoCad 10
(some 18 years ago) and before that it was a Gerber system.

Recently, I downloaded QCaD to my Ubuntu system here at work that
doubles as a web server for the LUGX (Linux User Group of Xerox).  There
is a learning curve for sure but, it seems pretty full featured and
fairly intuitive.  There is a Community Edition that can be had for free
at http://www.ribbonsoft.com  There is help and a electronic manual
included.  It will only import DXF files with the community edition but,
presumably kids would be starting from scratch.  They also have the
'Part Library' which is a collection of about 4500 mechanical,
electrical and processing symbols and parts in DXF format.

I have also used xFig but found that the User Interface could stand a
makeover.  It has a few features but they are harder to find, especially
for beginners.

Good Luck not matter what you use.

Regards,

Ralph