List:       suse-linux-uk-schools
Subject:    [opensuse-edu] CAD (was what does LTSP\thin client technology mean to you?)
From:       Phil Driscoll <phil () dialsolutions ! co ! uk>
Date:       2007-07-20 11:34:15

On Thursday 19 Jul 2007, Ian Lynch wrote:
> > What's PDT?
>
> Parametric design tool developed for the Acorn Archimedes back in the
> late 80s. I think considerably more powerful than Oak Draw but Phil
> Driscoll is better placed than me to say what it can do. I think it was
> written in C so might not be too difficult to port.

The original PDT back in the 80s was indeed written in C, and as far as we
know, was the world's first interactive parametric CAD package. It's
successor, Apollonius PDT had similar functionality, but with a very slick
user interface. We'd love to port that to Linux, as I'm sure that a good 2D
CAD system would fill a very useful niche, but since the original was written
in for Risc OS in ARM assembler and BBC BASIC, it would amount to a complete
rewrite. In any case, a modern graphical application needs to be aware of
more recent developments such as SVG, so a rewrite would be a good idea
anyway. It's on our agenda, but so far, has never quite got to the top of the
list :(

Cheers
--
Phil Driscoll