List:       suse-linux-uk-schools
Subject:    Re: [opensuse-edu] Some suggestions
From:       Lars Rupp <lrupp () suse ! de>
Date:       2007-06-19 9:18:55

Hi Kirill

FYI: I've updated the stardict package in Factory (for 10.3) already.
Now it's the same as in the Education:desktop buildservice repository.
Next would be the stardict-tools package containing the
startdict-editor and some conversion scripts for dictionaries. (The
package is already available in the Education:desktop repository, but
I like to have it for 10.3, too.)

Am Mo 18 Jun 2007 22:56:21 CEST schrieb Kirill Kirillov
<iogurt_forever@bk.ru>:
> 1. For StarDict is needed only noarch packages.

I've looked at the stardict homepage and I'm a bit confused about the
available dictionaries. (They support too much for me ;-)
Can you please tell me which dictionaries are needed first?

> 2. Scilab is powerful and complex program and it can be built with gtk
> interface so I assume that it should be difficult to package it. Also it
> has not GPL license see details in
> http://www.scilab.org/legal/index_legal.php?page=faq.html#q6
> Is it possible to include such kind of software?

I see no problem - we can include it: "You can reproduce and
distribute Scilab software on any support as long as you do not modify
Scilab software." and "Scilab license allows you to: * use freely
Scilab for non commercial use[...]"

So even if it's not GPL, we can build it in the buildservice and
distribute it via the Edu-CD.

> 3. http://www.kdau.com/projects/gelemental/ - periodic table viewer
> (derived from Gperidic) and
> http://littlewizard.sourceforge.net/ - programming for children
> If you find them good I'll try to make packages both of them.

Both looked ok in my eyes. If you like to have a buildservice account,
just create a "wiki account" and tell me your account name.
If you have any questions about packaging, please let me know and|or
subscribe to the opensuse-packaging@opensuse.org mailing list.

Lars