List:       suse-linux-uk-schools
Subject:    Re: [suse-linux-uk-schools] OO and exam boards]
From:       Ian Lynch <ian.lynch () zmsl ! com>
Date:       2004-07-01 9:19:00

On Thu, 2004-07-01 at 02:25, Thomas Adam wrote:
> --- Paul Taylor <ptaylor@uklinux.net> wrote:
>
> > some ICT teacher who has set up a Linux server for the school's web.
> > I suppose, again to answer Thomas's comments, I would create a unit to
> > supplement the other units offered by the boards.  As Joe points out, it
>
> This is certainly a good idea. The only problem I see is that when using
> Linux, how would you go about it? You could, say, use Webmin and/or all
> the pretty GUI configs that Linux has to offer, but this hides away a lot
> of what *is* Linux, and if this were the case, you might as well go back
> to Windows.
>
> If you were going to configure a web-server, would you teach them how to
> do it from Vi for instance? Or would this be considered too "difficult" by
> the exam board? I know it sounds like a patronising comment, but having
> concrete reasons from the examining-boards as to why they're not willing;
> or are reluctant to endorse the idea would help.

You differentiate and allow different routes depending on the abilities
of the students.

> Then you have the issue of programming. You mentioned the very low
> percentage of schools that allow for that option -- this is indeed very
> true. It's often quite hard to know where to start and indeed, where to
> draw the line. This is probably why VB is used in such instances. :/

Python would probably be a good place to start - except for the lack of
knowledge of it in teachers but since most teachers in general lack
programming knowledge perhaps the advantage is you can use anything to
start :-)
--
Ian Lynch <ian.lynch@zmsl.com>
ZMS Ltd