List:       suse-linux-uk-schools
Subject:    Re: [suse-linux-uk-schools] StarOffice
From:       Tim Pizey <timp () paneris ! org>
Date:       2002-02-11 15:03:59

On Monday 11 February 2002 11:22, Matt Johnson wrote:

> I totally agree that the notion of something for
> nothing is both wrong, and wrong (i.e. incorrect, and
> wrong (morally)).

I think that this is to misunderstand computing.
Computing has something in common with literature and language.
Sure Shakespeare was paid, or patronised, during his (or her) life,
but we receive Shakespeares work as 'something for nothing'
not withstanding the money we may pay a particular publisher.

So open-source software is software which hopes to become
part of the corpus of computer science which will survive the
original author and become part of human culture.

Can't see anything wrong or wrong here.
Just the normal standing on the shoulders of giants which
pervades civilisaton.

cheers
timp