List:       suse-linux-uk-schools
Subject:    Re: [suse-linux-uk-schools] The changing face of ICT
From:       Gary Stainburn <gary.stainburn () ringways ! co ! uk>
Date:       2002-02-05 13:25:45

Hi Michael,

On Tuesday 05 February 2002 1:13 pm, Michael Brown wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Feb 2002, Gary Stainburn wrote:
> > There is a growing shortage of *good* programmers and software
> > engineers (is there a difference?)
>
> I would say that there is.  I would expect a programmer to be able to take
> a specification and, from that, design and implement a program to meet the
> specification.  I would expect a software engineer to be able to come up
> with the specification as well as doing the design and implementation.
>
> You could look at it as "programmers write code, software engineers build
> products".

There you hit one of the common inconsistancies of the day.  You, as I do,
believe that the term 'Software Engineer' is synonymous with the traditional
Systems Analyst, or the Analyst/Programmer.  However, other see it as simply
the programmer's role, while yet others don't destinguish at all and lump
everything under the same umbrella.

Depends on whether you're offering a job position or wanting one too I
suppose.

--
Gary Stainburn