List:       suse-linux-uk-schools
Subject:    Re: [suse-linux-uk-schools] The changing face of ICT
From:       Michael Brown <mbrown () fensystems ! co ! uk>
Date:       2002-02-05 13:13:50

On Tue, 5 Feb 2002, Gary Stainburn wrote:
> There is a growing shortage of *good* programmers and software
> engineers (is there a difference?)

I would say that there is.  I would expect a programmer to be able to take
a specification and, from that, design and implement a program to meet the
specification.  I would expect a software engineer to be able to come up
with the specification as well as doing the design and implementation.

You could look at it as "programmers write code, software engineers build
products".

Just my opinion.  YMMV.

Michael