List:       suse-linux-uk-schools
Subject:    Re: [suse-linux-uk-schools] LTSP
From:       "Mark Evans" <mpe () st-peters-high ! devon ! sch ! uk>
Date:       2002-01-30 12:18:53

> I'm no expert, just my opinion (shout of I say
> anything wrong here please...)
>
> I'm a little way into an LTSP project myself. It's
> going very well. I decided early on to get a bunch of
> PCI video cards, and perhaps a bunch of networks cards
> (to make configuration a dream). The video card is the
> crux of it in my opinion. It's very _handy_ to have
> the same NIC's but not important to be honest. I

Fast network cards are cheap, though you might
find a minimum order quantity from some
places...

> bought some 4mb and 8mb SIS Sparkle video cards and

Our oldest machines, which are gateway P75
don't appear to agree with SIS video cards.
(One even goes as far as to object to RTL8139
network cards.)

> FYI, you can pick up a cheap (cheap in both senses of
> the word) 14" TFT in PCWorld for about £180 (exc). So
> with an old box, and a new graphics card, you can
> build a TFT flatscreen workstation for £200. I like
> the sound of that.

Considering the way our kids treat screens I'm far
from convinced that TFT monitors are a good idea.

> <whisper> but a CRT is of course fine </whisper>
>
> I've had very positive LTSP experience so far. I think
> it's fantastic. And it's _so_ easy to administer the
> network (read server) once it's set up.

What size server are you using and how many
clients do you have running?

--
Mark Evans
St. Peter's CofE High School