List:       suse-linux-uk-schools
Subject:    Re: [suse-linux-uk-schools] LTSP
From:       Matt Johnson <johnsonmlw () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2002-01-30 11:22:50

I'm no expert, just my opinion (shout of I say
anything wrong here please...)

I'm a little way into an LTSP project myself. It's
going very well. I decided early on to get a bunch of
PCI video cards, and perhaps a bunch of networks cards
(to make configuration a dream). The video card is the
crux of it in my opinion. It's very _handy_ to have
the same NIC's but not important to be honest. I
bought some 4mb and 8mb SIS Sparkle video cards and
they worked a treat. I figured once I had found a
video card that just _worked_ without any faffing
about, I would stick to it to save time. I bought one,
it worked, so I bought a bunch of them. Yesterday,
www.dabs.com were doing S3 Trio 3D PCI for £12 (exc)
BUT they aren't there today! I should say that I've
never tried this card, but it should work. I'd try out
a card you can get hold of, then go back for more if
you're happy. I reckon a £15 spend on a client is
reasonable in anyone's book, and means you can run a
sensible resolution with a good colour depth - instead
of struggling to run 640x480 at 256 colour.

FYI, you can pick up a cheap (cheap in both senses of
the word) 14" TFT in PCWorld for about £180 (exc). So
with an old box, and a new graphics card, you can
build a TFT flatscreen workstation for £200. I like
the sound of that.

<whisper> but a CRT is of course fine </whisper>

I've had very positive LTSP experience so far. I think
it's fantastic. And it's _so_ easy to administer the
network (read server) once it's set up.

--
Matt