List:       suse-linux-uk-schools
Subject:    Re: [suse-linux-uk-schools] LTSP
From:       Christopher Dawkins <cchd () felsted ! essex ! sch ! uk>
Date:       2001-12-18 23:03:43

> I'm planning on embarking on a bit of a LTSP adventure. Initially I
> want to set up maybe 7 clients and a server (I was planning to have
> the server be used as a workstation in the same room - is that okay?).

I've been using servers as workstations all the time, but only for
technical staff - particularly now we have obtained so many cheap
second-hand machines. But five years ago I "overflowed" big classes so
that pupils were using all (or both, as it was then) the servers.

> Is it _worth_ me buying 7 cheap NICs (£11) and 7 cheap (4mb or 8mb)
> pci graphics cards (£25???) to make configuration a dream.  I plan to
> just bung the two componants into an eclectiv mix of P60s - P120s and
> bung in the floppy. The auto detection of chipset that LTSP now does
> sound fantastic. I could then run off 7 identical floppies and boot
> from them. Could it really be that easy? (except for identifying the
> MAC addresses in the dhcpd.conf file on the server).

I think it would help a lot. It is always tedious having to maintain
different configurations.

> Does anyone know of an easy to use _cheap_ NIC with boot rom (just
> curious - I was planning to use floppies with a non boot rom card to
> keep it simple and cheap).

Do try hard to get boot ROMs.  I have had boot floppy systems in the past,
and they have always been a nuisance. One installation of 100 machines all
working perfectly in a boys' school I observed on July 3rd 1992 had over
30 needing new boot floppies within two weeks.

> On a tangent - does anyone know where I could buy some cheap,
> attractive (!) thin clients that would boot from an LTSP server. I can
> find some US sites, but not here in the UK.

Around here in Essex there seems to be a surplus of recycling companies
offering old systems. The screens are now more expensive than the
computers. But the base units are never attractive - try putting them on
the floor.

--
Christopher Dawkins, Felsted School, Dunmow, Essex  CM6 3JG
01371-820527 or 07798 636725           cchd@felsted.essex.sch.uk