List:       suse-linux-uk-schools
Subject:    LTSP
From:       Matt Johnson <johnsonmlw () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2001-12-17 14:12:07

I'm planning on embarking on a bit of a LTSP
adventure. Initially I want to set up maybe 7 clients
and a server (I was planning to have the server be
used as a workstation in the same room - is that
okay?).

My questions are:

Is it _worth_ me buying 7 cheap NICs (£11) and 7 cheap
(4mb or 8mb) pci graphics cards (£25???) to make
configuration a dream.  I plan to just bung the two
componants into an eclectiv mix of P60s - P120s and
bung in the floppy. The auto detection of chipset that
LTSP now does sound fantastic. I could then run off 7
identical floppies and boot from them. Could it really
be that easy? (except for identifying the MAC
addresses in the dhcpd.conf file on the server).

Does anyone know of an easy to use _cheap_ NIC with
boot rom (just curious - I was planning to use
floppies with a non boot rom card to keep it simple
and cheap).

Most importantly - what graphics card should I buy?
What's the cheapest 4mb card available that works with
this project?

On a tangent - does anyone know where I could buy some
cheap, attractive (!) thin clients that would boot
from an LTSP server. I can find some US sites, but not
here in the UK.

Thanks in advance

--
Matt