List:       suse-linux-uk-schools
Subject:    Re: [suse-linux-uk-schools] NHS Meeting, Blair and Gates
From:       Ian <ian.lynch2 () ntlworld ! com>
Date:       2001-12-03 9:43:32

On Monday 03 December 2001 09:21, Robert J Gautier wrote:
> On Mon, 3 Dec 2001 RLH@hhc.ac.uk wrote:
> > I agree with the sentiments expressed below and will also
> > unsubscribe if the list does not return to its prime puropse.
>
> The subject matter seems entirely appropriate to me.  I for one
> would much rather see discussions about events that might make
> a real difference to use of Open Source Software than about the
> best choice of Ethernet card.
>
> Call me a late starter if you like, but I'm planning to spend
> the morning composing a letter to my MP to draw his attention
> to this topic.

Interestingly, as I have travelled around the country and talked to lay IT
users about the issue they are mostly horrified. They don't understand how
licensing works and have never thought about it. I would have thought that
the purpose of this list was to discuss issues relevant to Open Source
software - at least that was why I joined. Freedom of speesch is about
improving the level of understanding of issues through debate. Some of the
discussions about obscure technical things are of no interest to me but it
doesn't induce me to want to unsubscribe. If Open Source is to take off at
the desktop, it will not be purely on technical merit - MS have shown that
with DOS. Its all about confidence, politics and marketing. So is the list
only about technical issues or about topical discussion on things related to
Open Source? If the former it will become a nurds forum, if the latter it
should have far wider appeal.

--
IanL