List:       suse-linux-uk-schools
Subject:    Red Hat Proposals
From:       Paul Munro <paul.munro1 () btinternet ! com>
Date:       2001-11-22 12:47:19

A couple of people here have been passing comments about the Red Hat
offer to schools in the US I first read about these two nights ago
whilst surfing, and passing by the Red Hat site (as I do often). I read
the article there from a speech given by Red Hat and was amazed that
they had stuck their necks out like this--an excellent way of showing
Microsoft's settlement agreement for what it truly is--fluff with added
bonus for themselves.

Yes- it would be great if SuSE would do the same here and in the US; it
would also be ideal if the "big" players in hardware would step
in--especially those who apparently support Open Source software, like
IBM, Compaq, HP, Sun. However, I would be very surprised if this
happened, given that the likes of IBM consistently fail to offer their
hardware very publicly at all with Linux installed or as an option (I
got their catalogue today...not a word about Linux).

"Hats" off to Red Hat, and here's hoping that MS are made red over this
one!!

Paul