List:       suse-linux-uk-schools
Subject:    Re: [suse-linux-uk-schools] Re: Health Service MS deal
From:       Ian <ian.lynch2 () ntlworld ! com>
Date:       2001-11-22 13:49:52

On Tuesday 20 November 2001 07:14, you wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Nov 2001, Mark Evans wrote:
> > > As such, the principle of solidarity (i.e. that fact that the services
> > > available to a person under the NHS bear no relationship to the amount
> > > (if any) contributed by that person to the NHS by way of taxes or
> > > National Insurance contributions) and the fact that the body in
> > > question fulfils a purely social function is central to the question as
> > > to whether or not that body is an undertaking.
> > > As such, whether this might involve the purchase of, say, a renal
> > > dialysis machine or the necessary computer software services required
> > > for the general purpose of helping to run the NHS is irrelevant if the
> > > purpose in both cases is to facilitate the overall objective of the NHS
> > > - the provision of free healthcare services to society as a whole."
> >
> > But would this principle of "solidarity" not mean that there
> > is a duty on the NHS to ensure that it spends money carefully.
> > So as to maximise heathcare provision.
>
> I think that this is more relevant to the National Audit Office than the
> OFT.  Investigating value for money is definitely outside the OFT's remit,
> whereas it is reasonable to expect them to investigate possible
> anti-competitive deals.
>
> Didn't someone contact the NAO on the value for money issue?  What was the
> result?

I did and I gat a reply recently which basically said they though the
procedures followed were OK but then seemed to ignore their own guidance! I
sent a reply and copied the lot to the Register. If anyone wants a copy I can
post it here or send it by E-mail. I'm not particularly surprised. This is a
long war of attrition so we need to keep plugging away and not be satisfied
with answers that don't stand up to teast against their own criteria.

--
IanL

Open Source - save money - employ more teachers
Use Star Office the free replacement for Microsoft Office