List:       suse-linux-uk-schools
Subject:    MIS, databases
From:       "Miles Berry" <mberry () st-ives ! surrey ! sch ! uk>
Date:       2001-04-28 8:02:05

My governors have invited me to put together proposals for implementing a
Management Information System / School database. The lack of flexibility,
poor interface and high cost of most commercial offerings make these
unattractive. One key requirement is that my colleagues can access and add
to the database from their classroom PCs or laptops. I'm eager to see as
much of our administartion, timetabling, planning and assessment
computerised as possible.
Obviously I'm interested in pushing for an open source solution and am
curious to know how much work has been done in this area.

As I see it at present our options are:
1.    A full commercial product. Not SIMS, but we've heard good things about
Hebron and Facility CMIS (http://www.ccmsoftware.com/cmis.htm) The latter at
least has an optional web interface. It is difficult to justify the costs
involved given only 140 pupils on roll.
2.    Run Facility CMIS as the back end (I'm told it'll run on an SQL
server, regardless of OS), their proprietry front end on key workstations
(the school office, my laptop) and develop our own web interface for the
other PCs.
3.    Find an open source developer who would be interested in exploring
this market and would like to work alongside us. I'd have thought a small
school such as ourselves with an existing commitment to open source software
would make an excellent test bed / case study. Please feel free to get in
touch off list if you're interested.
4.    Develop our own system in house. Possibly start in MS Access, then
port the back end to PostgreSQL / MySQL and then develop a web interface.
There is much to be said for a bespoke system, and I'd thoroughly enjoy the
challenge, but a) have I got the time to do this? and b) what happens when I
leave?

Miles Berry
Deputy Head
St Ives School, Haslemere