List:       suse-linux-uk-schools
Subject:    help with configuring Apache to access user directories
From:       Alan Harris <alanh () bryngwyn ! carmarthen ! sch ! uk>
Date:       2001-03-27 16:12:23

Hi all,

Can anyone offer some hints as to how to make public_html folders
available for access by apache?

I'm trying to set up a server in which users can create html files
within a folder (eg: /alanh/public_html) which can be made available on
the school intranet.

I've checked the folder permissions and they seen ok, httpd.conf seems
ok but I get the following errors when trying to access the test html
file via lynx :-

	lynx 192.168.1.10/~alanh

	!Alert: http/1.1 403 Forbidden!

I'd like to get this working - any hints / help / etc?

I've tried this under Suse 7 and Red Hat 6.1 with the same result so it
seems like i'm making a fundamental and possibly obvious error here....

Alan

Alan Harris
Network Manager
Bryngwyn School

Tel   : 01554 750661
Fax   : 01554 758255
E-mail: alanh@bryngwyn.carmarthen.sch

Notes:

1. The contents of this email may be snooped on by
   interested government parties for unknown purposes!
   Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act, 2000.

2. The opinions expressed in this email are personal
   and may not be shared by Bryngwyn School.