List:       suse-linux-uk-schools
Subject:    Re: [suse-linux-uk-schools] Squid
From:       "Purbeck School Network Support" <admin2 () users ! purbeck ! dorset ! sch ! uk>
Date:       2000-11-24 12:36:38

Squid's filtering is good but not very clever. You can only filter domains
ie www.lycos.co.uk if you want to filter a sub domain then you could filter
that in the same way that you filter for banned words. I have a file in
/var/squid called badWords and an entry in squid.conf that says.

acl badWords url_regex -i /var/squid/badWords
http_access deny badWords

The bad words file can contain whatever you like it just matches the text in
the URL to text in the badWords file. You could ban the word 'sms' then they
couldn't go to any sites with 'sms' in the URL. Now there's an idea  . . . .
. . . . .

The other option is to use Squidguard, I'm just looking at doing just that
now I've upgraded to SuSe 7.0 Pro.

Hope this helps

Dave Turnbull
ICT Technician