List:       suse-linux-uk-schools
Subject:    Re: [suse-linux-uk-schools] Re: X servers for PC
From:       gary.stainburn () ringways ! co ! uk
Date:       2000-11-24 11:14:34

On 11/24/00, 10:23:46 AM, "Alan Davies"
<staff.asd@birkenhead.wirral.sch.uk> wrote regarding
[suse-linux-uk-schools] Re: X servers for PC:

> On Thu 23 Nov, Christopher Dawkins wrote:
> >
> > > When did VNC start operating as an X server? How do you use it
> > > to do the equivalent of "xap -display <wsx>:0 &" for an arbitary
> > > number of workstations at the same time?
> >
> > It is a bit tricky but we have it operating that way. I am hoping I will
> > have time to describe how to do so on "http://ict.felsted.org"  Any of
our
> > machines (Arc, NC, Mac or PC) get an X login box when they run VNC, then
> > they login and get the same KDE desktop they get from one of our diskless
> > X terminals.
> >

> At the moment its a single LINUX box to lots of (X) PC clients, so it
> sounds as if VNC is worth I try.  I've only used VNC to remotely
administer/monitor
> PC stations/servers.

Having been inspired by the above post, I downloaded VNC 3.3.3R2 which is
the first version that supported the inetd option described above.  It
took me literally two minutes (ignoring typo's) to update /etc/services
and /etc/inetd.conf, and -HUP the inetd deamon.

Now I have X access from Win95 Pc's giving the XDM logon.  It performs as
well as my Starnet X-Win32 and if it carries on this well, I'll roll it
out fuller.

Once change I made to the instructions was to put '-query linux' instead
of 'broadcast'.

> I'd be interested to know how the loading of multiple VNC sessions on the
LINUX