List:       suse-linux-uk-schools
Subject:    VNC and X (was: X servers for PC)
From:       kevin.taylor () powerconv ! alstom ! com
Date:       2000-11-23 14:20:52

> When did VNC start operating as an X server?

It didn't - as we said earlier - if it can work for
you with your system/application then it can
work well.

Otherwise - you need an X server as before.

> even if you could select which X server running
> 10's even 100's on a single machine is rather non trivial.

If you have 100's of Windows PCs that you
want to connect from, then is the cost of a license
for a Windows X server really an issue ?
I never buy Windows things - so don't know how
much it compares to buying Windows itself in the
first place :-)

... of course the usual thing applies here - if you
are using X anyway, you could always try to nab
some older machines to configure up as dedicated
X terminals ...

Alans original email sounded like it was more
of a one-to-one relationship, ie a way of using
his Linux account remotely, from his Windows
PC - hence the following discussion about VNC ...

Kevin.