List:       suse-linux-e
Subject:    Re: [SLE] The future of SuSE Linux as we know it?
From:       Basil Chupin <blchupin () tpg ! com ! au>
Date:       2006-04-03 12:55:45

Kevanf1 wrote:
> On 03/04/06, Basil Chupin <blchupin@tpg.com.au> wrote:
>

>> I think that it will take more than just a name change - although it
>> would definitely help - to keep SuSE's past glory going well into the
>> future. The Novell management needs to pull its collective fingers out
>> and stop fart-arsing around with the stable, professional distro that we
>> all got to love. I have my serious doubts whether I will buy another
>> copy of SuSE in the future.
>>

> Yes, I am in agreement with this sentiment.  I have the strong feeling
> that a lot of others think this way too.
>

>> In the latest TUX magazine there is a comparison of several Linux
>> distros and SuSE does NOT come up on top. The top choice is Mandriva,
>> and SuSE is beaten by other distros (Mepis comes in 2nd and Fedora as 3rd).

Being reviewed by someone who is using the distro as a personal favourite would
normally produce a score of 5 for each of the features being tested wouldn't you
agree  :-)  ? I thought the same as you but after seeing the marks given to each
feature I felt that the reviewer was trying to be very objective - ?maybe trying
too hard - and so was being very critical of the bad bits. To me, if what I felt
is correct, this means that if I am a SuSE fanatic and give it a bad score for a
feature then I must really be peed-off about that "feature". But then what do I
know?

Cheers.

--
Yes, I AM a certified Cleavage Inspector.