List:       suse-linux-e
Subject:    RE: [SLE] OO: If you can make it, I can break it!
From:       "Greg Wallace" <gregwallace () fastmail ! fm>
Date:       2006-01-01 7:49:15

On Saturday, December 31, 2005 @ 9:08 PM, Randall Schulz wrote:

>Greg,

>On Saturday 31 December 2005 21:51, Greg Wallace wrote:
>>
>> But if I exit an app and then call it back up, I don't want to have
>> any "data" from the previous execution.  In order to get that so
>> called clean slate, the app has to either get the clean slate (so to
>> speak) from disk or from cache.  So, a clean copy should be in the
>> cache ready to serve up if I try to call the app up again later in my
>> session.  At least that's the way I understand it to work in the
>> 'doze world.

>My god, what is your obsession with this?! Does the application
>malfunction? Have you ever seen stale data from a previous run when you
>re-launch? Of course not. Do you think anything that's exchanged here
>is going to change how long it takes OpenOffice.org (or any other
>program) to start up on any given invocation? I hope you don't.

>If you cannot accept that these most fundamental aspects of the
>pertinent application and system software are correctly programmed and
>simply adopt the user perspective, then go out and buy some books on
>the principals of operating systems in general and of the Linux OS in
>particular and educate yourself. But all this stupid guessword and
>uninformed speculation is maddening (and it's made all the worse by the
>repeated and inane use of the inane term "'doze").

>Otherwise, just as you accept that pilots and flight crews and
>maintenance crews know what they're doing with the airplanes you fly, I
>suggest you use software as if it's working until it gives you evidence
>that it is not.

>Sheesh.

>> Greg Wallace

>Randall Schulz

Randall:

  If it sounded like I was ranting I certainly didn't intend that.  I think
OO works fine, at least on my machine.  When I entered this thread, there
seemed to be a question of whether the caching done by OO was a drag on the
system and there was talk of it needing to be turned off, as if it was a bad
option to have in the first place (at least that's the way I read those
earlier posts). I didn't think it was a bad option and didn't think it would
be the cause of poor performance, unless the machine's memory was just
overtaxed in general.  I was simply trying to comment on that.  Then,
admittedly, those last few posts went off on a bit of a tangent, and I do
apologize for that.  I indeed feel that "these most fundamental aspects of
the pertinent application and system software are correctly programmed",
just as you say.

Greg W