List:       suse-linux-e
Subject:    Re: [SLE] OO: If you can make it, I can break it!
From:       Randall R Schulz <rschulz () sonic ! net>
Date:       2006-01-01 6:07:39

Greg,

On Saturday 31 December 2005 21:51, Greg Wallace wrote:

> But if I exit an app and then call it back up, I don't want to have
> any "data" from the previous execution.  In order to get that so
> called clean slate, the app has to either get the clean slate (so to
> speak) from disk or from cache.  So, a clean copy should be in the
> cache ready to serve up if I try to call the app up again later in my
> session.  At least that's the way I understand it to work in the
> 'doze world.

My god, what is your obsession with this?! Does the application
malfunction? Have you ever seen stale data from a previous run when you
re-launch? Of course not. Do you think anything that's exchanged here
is going to change how long it takes OpenOffice.org (or any other
program) to start up on any given invocation? I hope you don't.

If you cannot accept that these most fundamental aspects of the
pertinent application and system software are correctly programmed and
simply adopt the user perspective, then go out and buy some books on
the principals of operating systems in general and of the Linux OS in
particular and educate yourself. But all this stupid guessword and
uninformed speculation is maddening (and it's made all the worse by the
repeated and inane use of the inane term "'doze").

Otherwise, just as you accept that pilots and flight crews and
maintenance crews know what they're doing with the airplanes you fly, I
suggest you use software as if it's working until it gives you evidence
that it is not.

Sheesh.

> Greg Wallace

Randall Schulz