List:       suse-linux-e
Subject:    Re: [SLE] OO: If you can make it, I can break it!
From:       Ken Schneider <suse-list () bout-tyme ! net>
Date:       2005-12-29 0:19:08

On Wed, 2005-12-28 at 16:55 -0500, elefino wrote:
> On Tuesday 27 December 2005 21:23, Patrick Freeman wrote:
> [...]

> At work, my main desktop machine runs Win XP Pro. From the time that
> I press the power switch, until the time that the hard disk stops churning,
> takes a minute or so, including the few seconds that it takes me to
> authenticate. The company and I have both added some extra
> stuff that lives in the tray, and that has added a few seconds.
>
> When I boot SuSE 9.3 on that computer, or SuSE 10 on my home
> computer (the one that I'm writing from, at this moment), it takes
> many minutes for SuSE to load, then (after I login) it takes a further
> few minutes for KDE to load. The difference between starting after
> a clean shutdown, versus starting and re-opening apps (like multiple
> Konqi windows) that I might have left open at last shutdown is a
> very small portion of the total start time, so I discount that portion.

The correct places to bitch about things starting slow are:

kernel.org - who write the kernel
kde.org or gnome.org - whichever you use or use xfwm
openoffice.org - the writers of OpenOffice

Novell/SUSE only packages these items to make it easier for you to
install them. They do -not- write the programs (although they contribute
some code).

If you want your hardware to work better write the manufacturer and tell
them to write (better) drivers for their product for linux.

Please do not state that device XYZ works on windows but not on linux,
there again bitch to the manufacturer to write a driver just like they
do for windows. MS does not write the drivers, the manufacturer does.

You always have the choice to go back to MS windows and all of its
virii, worms and bugs. I care not to. When you factor in all the the
times you have to re-install windows it runs about even in start up
times.

And please there is no need to reply back to this.

Happy New Year
--
Ken Schneider
UNIX  since 1989, linux since 1994, SuSE  since 1998