List:       suse-linux-e
Subject:    Re: [SLE] OO: If you can make it, I can break it!
From:       "Kai Ponte" <kai () perfectreign ! com>
Date:       2005-12-28 23:21:14

> On Wednesday 28 December 2005 07:29, Kai Ponte wrote:
> Jeez... I wish I had your problems, either of you...
>
> I have an Athlon 1.1 GHz with 3/4 Gig of memory and 7600rpm hard disks.
> Running SuSE 10.0, KDE 3.5.
>
> I just went to the "K" menu, "Office > Word Processor > OpenOffice.org
> Writer".
>
> It took almost exactly 30 seconds for Writer to open (the splash screen
> appeared at 12 seconds), finish populating the toolbars, and give me a
> text-entry cursor in a new (empty) document.
> If I had done the same with an existing small OOo document, it would
> have taken an extra few seconds to get the document opened.
>
> If I had clicked the OpenOffice Suite instead, it would have been much
> longer even than 30 seconds.

That's because you're in Canada and it is really cold there, so the disk
drives have to de-ice prior to spinning...

...do you have the OOo quickstarter launched? It REALLY helps out in the
speed up of OOo times. It also doesn't really take away from starting
KdE (which admittedgly takes about six hours).

If you haven't, go to Geeko > System > Desktop Applet > OpenOffice.org
Quickstarter. It should ask a few questions and you're off.

Oh, and I just opened and excel spreadsheet in calc. I've got my 1.9 GHz
Centrino laptop with 1 GB of RAM. It loaded the spreadsheet in eight
seconds. (I am also ripping a Church CD in KAudioCreator, so that may
have added to the time.)

--
kai ponte
www.perfectreign.com

linux - genuine windows replacement part