List:       suse-linux-e
Subject:    Re: [SLE] OO: If you can make it, I can break it!
From:       Hans du Plooy <hansdp-lists () sagacit ! com>
Date:       2005-12-28 1:14:58

On Tue, 2005-12-27 at 19:47 -0500, Steven T. Hatton wrote:
> extracting data from HTML.  When I try to open the document, it begins to
> load, and then locks up.  This happens every time.
I'm not sure if your problem is simply opening an html file, or doing
something thereafter?   I use OpenOffice all the time to make pdfs of
web pages with working links.  File --> Open and type in the url -
opening the html file directly from the web.  I've never had a problem
with that, even with the early OOo2 beta releases.

/rant on

That said...  I do believe there is still a lot of work to be done to
make it comparable to commercial offerings.  For one thing, I cannot
understand why it has to take more memory than the kernel, all the
services I run, X and KDE.  That's unacceptable.  I do not understand
why opening Calc or Writer on a 2ghz Athlon with 1GB DDR and a fast SATA
disc should take anymore than second.  Excel in Windows on the same PC
opens instantly, even on cold boot.  So does Lotus123 and the
spreadsheet app in Wordperfect Office (I never use it, can't remember
the name).

OpenOffice has come a very long way.  But to be taken seriously it needs
be a hell of a lot better.  I sometimes think about getting into
programming for no other reason than to work on projects like OOo.

/rant off

Right, lemme get back to work.

Hans