List:       suse-linux-e
Subject:    Re: [SLE] Recommended Graphics Card
From:       jfweber () bellsouth ! net
Date:       2005-11-13 18:36:56

On Sunday 13 November 2005 4:14 am, Phil Burness wrote:
> On Saturday 12 November 2005 21:49, Felix Miata wrote:
> > Phil Burness wrote:
> > > I'm in the market to upgrade my graphics card.
> >
> > Why?
>
> Main reason is that I am also upgrading my monitor to a 19" TFT that
> can support 1280x1024. My current monitor can't, also my current
> graphics card has 32Mb memory and I suppose more is better?

to the OP, If you have a new(ish) box, do you have pci-E capability? If
so, and you aren't in the mood to overclock..  e-GeForce 6800GT works
really well at 1600x 1600 on a 20" flat Mitsubishi monitor. ( I don't
use it that high because it seems silly to have that sort of resolution
and then have to make everything bigger in order to actually see it.
Tho I must say , it will be good to do photo stuff at that level. This
card has 256MB memory on it.. currently the most I could find.. video
processing is a memory hog.. and needs all it can get..  I am using the
Nvdia driver and everything seem to be happy happy... installed it from
the YOU update when 10.0 installed..  ATI might be better for
whatever.. but this card was also happy w/ the xorg nv driver.. I just
wanted to use some of the stuff that wasn't available w/o the Nvdia
driver..

But.. as they say this sort of thing is definately in the eye of the
beholder.. so get yourself to a big computer place and look at some
displays w/ some of the cards you are considering..

BTW there is a water cooled version of the 6800  in case things in your
box (or overclocking ideas) are heating things up ;-)

Morning, Evolution in action. only the grumpy will survive