List:       suse-linux-e
Subject:    Re: [SLE] Recommended Graphics Card
From:       "Hans du Plooy" <hansdp-lists () sagacit ! com>
Date:       2005-11-13 17:55:34

> I build my own machines and have no use for games, while games are
> precisely what the latest and greatest video cards are made for. That's
> overkill by several orders of magnitude for folks who use their puters
> for work instead of games.

You are assuming that image quality has not improved at all in the last
seven years, but it has.  Entry level graphics cards these days are cheap,
and even the cheapest that nVidia and ATi offer far superior image quality
than any but the most expensive cards of seven years ago.  Also, features
like Antialiasing etc that cards can do in hardware these days, have to be
passed off to the CPU on those older cards.

The OP said they use graphics software, and buying a new LCD display.
That I would think is good justification to get a graphics card that is a
bit more up to date.

Hans