List:       suse-linux-e
Subject:    Re: [SLE] suse10 & win4lin
From:       Basil Chupin <blchupin () tpg ! com ! au>
Date:       2005-11-09 9:33:57

Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-11-08 at 18:40 +0000, Stephen Allewell wrote:
>
>>Serge Naggar wrote:
>>
>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>I am now using suse 9.1 and win4lin [not the pro version] for win98.
>>>
>>>I am thinking of using it {win4lin with win98] on suse 10.
>>>
>>>Has anybody used win4lin 2.6.? with win9? in suse10?
>>>
>>>In other words: can I use the win4lin for win98 on suse 10?
>>>
>>>thanks
>>>
>>>serge
>>>

>>The older version of Win4Lin doesn't run on the SuSE 2.6 kernels, but I
>>believe can be used on patched vanilla kernels.
>>
>>This was one of the reasons I delayed updating to the 2.6 kernels.  When
>>Win4Lin Pro came out I updated and installed it, but it was very slow,
>>unusable in fact, maybe others had better luck.
>

> Which win4lin? The most recent (win4lin pro) that lets you run XP? Or
> just a newer version of the one for 95/98 that runs on 2.6 kernels?

"..that lets you run XP". Anyone who is getting excited at reading this
please read the fine print on the Win4Lin webste before thinking about
parting with your hard- earned cash. Go behind the front page and read
what win4lin can and cannot do and which version of XP it will or not
work with.

>>I ended up installing VMware instead, which I have to say is excellent,
>>  using VM machines of XP Pro and Solaris 10.

VMWare, eh? I'll look into this. Thanks for mentioning it.

Cheers.

--
In a period of great joy and pleasure you are comforted by the thought
that tragedy is just around the corner.