List:       suse-linux-e
Subject:    Re: [SLE] suse10 & win4lin
From:       Jerry Feldman <gaf () blu ! org>
Date:       2005-11-08 20:45:36

On Tuesday 08 November 2005 3:28 pm, Stephen Allewell wrote:
> Ken Schneider wrote:
> >>I ended up installing VMware instead, which I have to say is excellent,
> >>  using VM machines of XP Pro and Solaris 10.
> >
> > Have you thought of using CrossOver Office to run your windows apps? I
> > use it for Quicken without any problems. Runs many apps, not all but
> > many.
>
> I did think about crossover, but I decided that VMware would be more
> versatile with the ability to run lots of different OSs.
IMHO, VMWare is the better product.
VMWare - excellent, can run a number of OSs independent, cost bucks.
Requires a Windows license if you run Windows. Runs just about all Windows
apps.
Win4Lin - Runs Windows (9x or XP depending on version). Runs as a Linux
process and uses native Linux disk. Requires a Windows license. Runs most
Windows apps.
CrossoverOffice - $39. Does not require a Windows license. Runs Windows
applications as native Linux processes. Runs most of the standard apps.
This is essentially WINE with a front end and some tweaks.
WINE - Maintained on CodeWeavers systems and is part of most Linux distros
(including SuSE).

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf@blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix user group