List:       suse-linux-e
Subject:    Re: [SLE] Re: VariCAD, was [SLE] Epson Stylus Photo 2200
From:       plain <kanenas () hawaii ! rr ! com>
Date:       2004-04-26 7:28:20

Unfortunately this is an area where linux needs to make major inroads.
lack of a decent cad package for linux is the only reason i have vmware and a
w2k "guest" os installed in my suse 9.0 system.
parametric solids, assemblies, detail drawings, surfacing, cam etc are back in
the 18th century as far as linux is concerned.
btw, before anyone complains, I am talking about "real" cad, not "design your
porch" cad. A cad package must be capable of drawing a boat, a plane, a
telescope, a space shuttle, a toilet, a submarine, a perfume bottle, a
bicycle, an F1 car, a plastic fork and so on. That is an assembly, all the
individual parts, all the solids, all the BOM's, all the solids and shells
for fea analysis, all the surfaces for cnc machining etc etc... If a package
can't do what solidworks, autocad or pro-engineer do at least as easily as
swx, acad or pro-e, then it is not a "real" package.
VX works does that, it used to run on a linux system, i have been trying to
get them to restart linux support, but they need to hear from many more.

Please "hit" them at www.Vx.com

tia
d.