List:       suse-linux-e
Subject:    Re: [SLE] gnome
From:       Anders Johansson <andjoh () rydsbo ! net>
Date:       2003-10-09 5:31:08

On Thursday 09 October 2003 06.51, Franklin Maurer wrote:
> i wasn't aware that this was fixed, thanks for pointing this out.
> Personally my last experience with ximian was in 8.1, it ended in complete
> failure after an upgrade.

That was ximian 1, I didn't have a very good experience with it either

> Are you running xd2 and James' gnome?

xd2, I don't think you can run both at the same time, although single packages
from ULB should work.

> And you've upgraded both or one, without any problems?

well, xd2 wasn't released until 8.2 so I haven't had a chance yet, but so far
all the packages have had the same names so that shouldn't be a problem.

I did upgrade xd2 from gnome 2.2 to gnome 2.4 though, in the Ximian unstable
channel, using red carpet. So far I haven't seen any huge problems

The gnome packages have newer versions of course, but you'd have that problem
with ULB stuff too.

> Do you use red carpet and apt?

red carpet

> I have witnessed others who ran into problems in the last few months, I'm
> fairly sure it had to do with xd2. The problems arose after trying to
> upgrade or remove xd2.

There is one thing that most people react to, besides the problem with $PATH I
mentioned, and that is that since both Gnome and KDE use $HOME/Desktop as the
desktop directory, things collide. But again, this is a problem with gnome/
KDE in general, not where you get it from. You can always set manually a
different directory for either one to avoid it