List:       suse-linux-e
Subject:    Re: [SLE] Next Release
From:       John LeMay <jlemay () njmc ! com>
Date:       2003-02-18 22:59:55

> As I've been using(?) 8.1 for a month now - I bloody wish I had

Why? What is going to be in 8.2 (presumably) that makes it worth
upgrading? Sure, maybe if you are running 7.x or earlier and want some
newer "stuff" it makes sense. It also makes sense if you have a
stability issue - say with 8.0 (not that I know of any issues with 8.0,
but "point-oh" releases tend to be a bit more flakey than "point-one" or
higher releases) or something.

I'm really not trolling here, but I just don't see the point in hassling
one's self about upgrading their OS every six months. Honestly, even MS
doesn't do that. Sure, if you get a new box install the latest you have
handy. But if you have a functioning machine and you aren't going
through "rpm-hell" trying to install the latest version of <insert
favorite package name here>, why bother? Most of the time you end up
creating problems you didn't have previously.

Just my two cents.

--
John LeMay
KC2KTH