List:       suse-linux-e
Subject:    Re: [SLE] kde3.1 apt-getable?
From:       Richard Bos <allabos () freeler ! nl>
Date:       2003-01-29 21:33:55

Op woensdag 29 januari 2003 22:23, schreef KMcLauchlan@chrysalis-its.com:
> [...]

Hi Kevin,

> Forgive my ignorance. Who is doing what, where, and
> what are they charging, and what are they charging *for*?

the gwdg ftp server provides professional services to research institutes
(let's phrase it that way, I don't know the details).  As you can imagine
these paying institutes may expect some big pipe.  The rest that is left it
given to linux lovers.

> Also, what does "kde3-stable" mean?  It's not SuSE
> testing it, is it?  Who vouches for the "stable"
> claim?  How widely and thoroughly was the package
> tested?

The rpms provided by the kde3-stable apt component are just the rpms released
by SuSE.  If you look at the server, you'll just find the rpms linked to the
rpms in the SuSE directory.  The links are needed to make up the apt
repository.

> (I hope the tone doesn't sound confrontational -- I just
> want an idea of what I'd be letting myself in for, versus
> waiting for KDE3.1 rpms to appear on SuSE.de.)

I hope that my explanation is clear enough.

--
Richard Bos
Without a home the journey is endless