List:       suse-linux-e
Subject:    [SLE] Installation CD boot failure
From:       Alexandros Karypidis <karypid () inf ! uth ! gr>
Date:       2002-12-08 19:44:36

Hello all,

I have a QDI Kinetiz 7E-A motherboard with a vt82c686b VIA IDE controller.

The installation CD for SuSE 8.1 hangs when initializing the controller. The
last messages I get from the kernel are:

[...]
VP_IDE: chipset revision 6
VP_IDE: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
VP_IDE: VIA vt82c686b (rev 40) IDE UDMA100 controller on pci:00:07.1
        ide0: BM-DMA at 0xc000-0xc007, BIOS settings: hda:DMA, hdb:pio
        ide1: BM-DMA at 0xc008-0xc00f, BIOS settings: hdc:pio, hdd:pio

I have tried disabling UDMA in the BIOS, booting with safe settings, using
options such as "nodma" and "noautotune" as well as disconnecting the
DVD/CD-RW and leaving only the HDD online. Nothing works.

As a side note, the same thing happens when I try booting the system with
Debian woody (both 2.2 and 2.4 kernels).

Ironically, the system has had SuSE 8.0 installed and working fine for many
months and will happily boot from the SuSE 8.0 installation CD.

Does anyone have any ideas on what could be wrong? What are the differences
among the 8.0 and 8.1 kernel configurations? Is there a way to upgrade using
the 8.0 kernel?

--
To err is human, but to forgive is beyond the scope of the Operating System...

Alexandros Karypidis
University of Thessaly
Computer & Communications Engineering dept.