List:       suse-linux-e
Subject:    Re: [SLE] How do I setup an email server for an office....
From:       Tony White <tony () dtske ! com>
Date:       2002-09-24 19:03:33

At 18:33 24/09/2002 , Tom Nielsen wrote:
>On Tue, 2002-09-24 at 05:20, Keith Winston wrote:
> > On Tue, 2002-09-24 at 01:26, Tom Nielsen wrote:

<snip>

>Keep in mind the following...
>
>1. Other users are Win2k
>2. ISP doesn't handle email. The webhosting service does. ISP is just
>ISP (dsl account).
>3. I don't want to bog my system down with a bunch of outside email
>(using internal server to access external mail).
>
>With that said...if I can just setup a server for inter-office mail,
>what program should I use? I assumed that there was a program that acted
>as an email server and I would assign IP adddresses of the clients and
>give corresponding names, e.g. 192.168.5.2 = bob. Then setup an account
>on Outlook that points to the server via IP 192.168.2.20.
>
>I'm I making this too easy? Seems like a really simple program. I
>remember back in the Windows for Workgroup days we had an email server
>that did just what I mentioned. I guess life's getting too complicated
>now, huh?
>
>Thanks,
>Tom

Hi Tom,

Your situation sounds very similar to mine - except we are on dial-up.

I use an old pentium 166 PC as our mail server (SuSE 7.2 / Sendmail - no
graphical interface - install as 'network server' option)

Sendmail queues outgoing mail for sending at scheduled intervals (hourly),
and fetchmail collects for the various users from their respective POP
mailboxes on our hosting company's server.

Clients (MS$ - various 'flavours') connect using POP3 to the local server
to collect their mail, and SMTP to send mail, whether internal or external
destinations.

Give your internal domain the same name as your registered domain - it
shouldn't produce any conflicts, as you are not offering services to the
internet from your internal network (are you?).

Use SuSEfirewall2 to protect the server - you can probably close all
external access.

You may also consider using squid to allow your client machines to browse
internet through the server. (and lot's of other interesting possibilities).

As SuSE says - Have a lot of Fun!

Brgds,
Tony