List:       suse-linux-e
Subject:    Re: [SLE] webserver with adsl router
From:       Stephen Allewell <stephen () mirramar ! fsnet ! co ! uk>
Date:       2002-09-24 19:07:44

steve wrote:

> On Tuesday 24 September 2002 20:10, Anders Johansson wrote:
> > On Tuesday 24 September 2002 17.09, steve wrote:
> > > Hi. I'm trying to set up a webserver. I have an IP address but whenever I
> > > type it into a browser, I get the router page rather than my index.html
> > > file. How can I tell Apache to bypass the router and let me into
> > > /usr/local/httpd/htdocs/index.html instead?
> > > Thanks, Steve.
> >
> > I don't think you can "tell apache" that. It sounds to me like you need to
> > set up your router to do what you want. Basically, "your ip" is the ip of
> > your router, if I understand you correctly, and you need to tell the router
> > to forward requests on port 80 to your computer.
> >
> > //Anders
>
> Hi everyone. That's exactly what I want to do. I only have windows software to
> do it though. wine gets nowhere near it. Are we really saying that I'll need
> to install windows to be able to redirect traffic on port 80?
> Steve.
>
> --

I don't really know much about routers, but I recall reading something
that this would be the correct behaviour for the router.  If you are
using the IP address assigned to the router, it then interprets the
request from the internal LAN to display the setup info.  Have you
tried accessing this IP from a machine not connected to the LAN side
of the router, ie. from the internet?  I would expect the router to
then forward the request onto which ever computer is setup in its
configuration as the web server.

Hope this is of some help

Steve