List:       suse-linux-e
Subject:    Re: [SLE] Suse 8 - nvidia beware!
From:       Joshua Lee <yid () softhome ! net>
Date:       2002-05-05 10:26:41

On Saturday 04 May 2002 12:00 am, Rick Green wrote:
>   Well, just as with SuSE 7.2, the nvidia drivers aren't current, and YOU
> redirects me to an nvidia site for nvidia_GLX and nvidia_kernel. (1 meg
> each! slow at 28,8k.)

No, the reason why it always wants to download them is because Nvidia's
license prohibits their drivers to be distributed by anyone other than
Nvidia. SuSE contains the "nv" driver, but that is just a stub to a generic
SVGA driver that has no 3D video rutines. So it always wants to grab the
"nvidia" drivers from Nvidia. In other words, this problem isn't SuSE's
fault. :-)
--
The shortest distance between two points is under construction.
		-- Noelie Alito