List:       suse-linux-e
Subject:    [SLE] Network Printing Creates Extra Blank Page at End
From:       "Brian W. Carver" <bwcarver () earthlink ! net>
Date:       2002-05-02 16:44:19

Hi,

I know this is a common problem, but I was surprised at how hard it's
been to find a solution explained (simply) online.  The printer does not
print an extra page at the end when printing from the server it is
attached to. It only does this when printing from the client computers
on the network.  I'll paste my /etc/printcap file and my /etc/lpd.conf
file below as I have some idea that one of those could be modified in
some way to prevent this.  It's a HP LaserJet 5L, by the way, and there
are two names for it (whose settings look identical to me) but "lp"
prints at 300dpi and "printer1" prints at 600dpi, somehow.  I typically
just use "printer1" for everything.  Thanks for any help!

/etc/printcap
lp:\
	:cm=lpdfilter drv=upp method=auto color=yes:\
	:lp=/dev/lp0:\
	:sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
	:lf=/var/spool/lpd/lp/log:\
	:af=/var/spool/lpd/lp/acct:\
	:if=/usr/lib/lpdfilter/bin/if:\
	:la@:\
	:tr=:cl:sh:
printer1:\
	:cm=lpdfilter drv=upp method=auto color=yes:\
	:lp=/dev/lp0:\
	:sd=/var/spool/lpd/printer1:\
	:lf=/var/spool/lpd/printer1/log:\
	:af=/var/spool/lpd/printer1/acct:\
	:if=/usr/lib/lpdfilter/bin/if:\
	:la@:\
	:tr=:cl:sh:

/etc/lpd.conf
# See "man lpd.conf" for a list of options you can set here.
#     check_for_nonprintable
#   means the 'check_for_nonprintable' option default value is on or 1
#   To set it to OFF or 0, change this to read:
#     check_for_nonprintable@
check_for_nonprintable@
client_config_file=/etc/lpd.conf
filter_ld_path=/lib:/usr/lib:/usr/X11R6/lib:/usr/local/lib
filter_path=/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/lib/filters:/usr/X11R6/bin
mail_operator_on_error=root
pr=/usr/bin/pr
printcap_path=/etc/printcap
# If you distribute your printcap entries through NIS,
# use the following line instead:
#printcap_path=|/usr/lib/yp/match_printcap
printer_perms_path=/etc/lpd.perms
server_config_file=/etc/lpd.conf
server_user=lp
user=lp
group=lp
# If your printer doesn't print the job remove the "@" from the following
# line. (for example necessary for HP4M with a JetDirect Card)
send_data_first@
mc#0
send_try#0
max_connect_interval#10