List:       suse-linux-e
Subject:    Re: [SLE] SuSE v8 Booting WinME & Mouse Problems
From:       Tor Sigurdsson <tosi () orku ! net>
Date:       2002-04-26 22:31:29

Hi,

keith (föstudagur 26. apríl 2002 22:16)
> Hi all
>
> Sorry but here comes another new Linux user and I have two problems.

Don't be sorry about that :) New users are always welcome, and even the
experts have problems on occations :-)

> The first, I loaded SuSE version 8 Personal on my system running Windows ME
> and unfortunately I can now not boot Win ME unless I use a floppy disc.
> Using the Lilo menu just produces a screen flicker and drops back to the
> menu. Because of the next problem I have tried to re-install SuSE on four
> occasions so guess trying Lilo -u/dev/hda, which I have tried, is not going
> to restore the original boot block is not going to work.

Boot off of a DOS floppy disk, and type in ( in a DOS prompt ):

	FDISK /MBR

Which fixes your master boot record. ( It also breaks the Lilo boot record,
so you better have a copy of that beforehand, f.ex. with a linux boot diskette
- - see the SuSE manuals about that, I'm not lucky enough to have SuSE 8.0 yet,
so any directions from my 7.3 system might be misdirections on SuSE 8... )

> Secondly I am using a Logitech cordless keyboard and mouse. During the
> installation SuSE used the following mouse driver, Intelli/Wheelmouse
> (Aux-Port), without problem but after re-booting the mouse no longer works.
> The auto detect reports the same mouse has been found but the mouse refuses
> to work. I managed to get into Xterm-2 but although this also shows the
> Intelli/Wheelmouse (Aux-port) there seems to be no way of making it work.
>
> Can anyone suggestions gratefully received.

Edit the file /etc/X11/XF86Config

Change the following section:
	Section "InputDevice"
		Driver "mouse"

So that:
	Option	"Device" "whatever..."
becomes:
	Option	"Device" "/dev/usbmouse"

and
	Option	"Protocol" "whatever..."
becomes:
	Option	"Protocol" "imps/2"

Then when you have saved the new version ( always take a backup of important
files first before editing them :) restart X by pressing CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE

Have fun :)

- -tosi

> Regards
> Keith Jacobs
> baggarley@one-name.org
> Member of East Surrey & London & North Middlesex
> Family History Societies and the
> Guild of One-Name Studies
> For more information see www.maestrocompserv.co.uk/baggarley

- --
This mail is sent using KMail and Linux.
Thus it is 100% guaranteed virus free.