List:       suse-linux-e
Subject:    Re: [SLE] Slightly OT. Is anyone using diy adsl in the UK
From:       Stephen Allewell <stephen () mirramar ! fsnet ! co ! uk>
Date:       2002-03-11 18:39:12

Phil Shrimpton wrote:
> > Depending on the isp, some will sell you modems, including the
> > alcatel 'frog',
>
> Looks more like a 'sting ray' to me.

True, it is supposed to be a ray, but I've heard so many people
call it the frog, I wrote it without thinking.

> I must of got a good deal, I got free installation and a free modem.  I
> thought the reduced price of the DIY package, included the modem.

I can get the installation for free, but the modem and filters
cost about 100 GBP with monthly charges at about 23 GBP.

> Followed the instructions at speedtouch.sourceforge.net, took about 20
> minutes and another hour to convice myself it was actually working.  Been up
> for 36 days so far (could only manage 3-4 under Windows).

I've read through the info there and it seems pretty straight
forward.  Looking at the list of patches and looking at my own
system (7.3) most of it already seems to be in place.

> If they use NAT, then you get a 'private' IP address, so you will never
> beable to connect from 'outside', but is secure, as no one else can connect
> either.
>
> Phil

Where does NAT fit in with services like ICQ (licq), which rely
on direct connections?

regards

Steve