List:       suse-linux-e
Subject:    Re: [SLE] Slightly OT. Is anyone using diy adsl in the UK
From:       Stephen Allewell <stephen () mirramar ! fsnet ! co ! uk>
Date:       2002-03-09 15:15:39

Phil Shrimpton wrote:

> On Saturday 09 March 2002 11:25, Stephen Allewell wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> > Im planning on getting the DIY version of adsl, and I was
> > wondering if anyone was using it.
>
> I had my 'installed', but I watched the engineer, and the wiring is no harder
> than wiring a domestic plug.

Things appear even easier now, BT updates the line at the
exchange, the user just plugs in some filters between the phones
and the existing sockets to split the adsl signal from the phone
signal.

> > I would be interested in the
> > equipment being used, modems, routers, etc, and any problems
> > encountered during installation or use.
>
> Do they supply the modem?  I use the modem they supplied (Alcatel USB), and
> works fine on SuSE7.2 and 7.3.  All the routing is being done by my firewall.

Depending on the isp, some will sell you modems, including the
alcatel 'frog', some make suggestions on what to use.  It's
really up to the end user as to what equipment they require,
that's why I was asking for advice.  It's good to know that the
alcatel usb modem works fine in 7.3, as it is one of the cheapest
options.  Do you use the driver from the Alcatel site? Was there
anything else required? I'm just in the middle of reading through
the SpeedTouch USB Linux Driver HOWTO, so hopefully it will all
become clear!

> One thing to mention, if you want a static IP address (costs extra), ask them
> BEFORE they switch you on.  I asked on the day of installation (over a year
> ago), and they said it can only be offered to new users, and it is still not
> possible to switch people over.

Some of the ISP's I've been looking at do supply static IP
addresses, one even at no extra cost, is it worth having, as I'm
not offering externally available servers, although the ISP does
offer SMTP mail delivery.  Most of the other ISP's offer NAT, are
there any problems with this?

> Phil

Thanks very much for your input Phil, it's much appreciated.

regards

Steve