List:       suse-linux-e
Subject:    Re: [SLE] Slightly OT. Is anyone using diy adsl in the UK
From:       Phil Shrimpton <phil () shrimpton ! co ! uk>
Date:       2002-03-09 14:59:14

On Saturday 09 March 2002 11:25, Stephen Allewell wrote:

Hi,

> Im planning on getting the DIY version of adsl, and I was
> wondering if anyone was using it.

I had my 'installed', but I watched the engineer, and the wiring is no harder
than wiring a domestic plug.

> I would be interested in the
> equipment being used, modems, routers, etc, and any problems
> encountered during installation or use.

Do they supply the modem?  I use the modem they supplied (Alcatel USB), and
works fine on SuSE7.2 and 7.3.  All the routing is being done by my firewall.

One thing to mention, if you want a static IP address (costs extra), ask them
BEFORE they switch you on.  I asked on the day of installation (over a year
ago), and they said it can only be offered to new users, and it is still not
possible to switch people over.

Phil
--
Linux 2.4.4-4GB
  2:54pm  up 4 days,  6:42,  2 users,  load average: 0.39, 0.16, 0.06