List:       suse-linux-e
Subject:    Re: [SLE] KDE amazes me yet again - UNSOLVED
From:       Stephen Allewell <stephen () mirramar ! fsnet ! co ! uk>
Date:       2001-11-28 10:06:52

Jerry Kreps wrote:
> I hate to bring this up again, but....
> I've checked the archives on the Nov 5th exchange and followed the
> advice therein.
>
> I have an IDE PlexStor 8432 CDRW under scsi emulation  (hdd >
> /dev/sr0)
>
> My CDROM has and does play nicely and I can burn CDs nicely.
>
> My   /dev/cdrom --> /dev/sr0   link is owned by root:disk with a+rw
> permissions.   Root:disk also owns /cdrom, /cdrecorder, /media and
> all subdir under it.  All have a+rw permissions.
>
> I have installed lame-libs-3.89-1.i386.rpm it it gave the following:
>
> /usr/lib/libmp3lame.so.0  ---> /usr/lib/libmp3lame.so.0.0.0
> I see no other lame libs in /.usr/lib.
>
> BUT, the AudioCD service in Konqueror STILL returns "Can't find /"
>
> What other magic encantations are required?
> Jerry

I've had the same problems as a lot of others regarding this
issue.  I found that I could use audiocd:/ as root but not as a
user, which suggested a permission problem.  In the audiocd FAQ,
I found the command cdparanoia -vsQ, which will scan all devices
for a suitable cd drive.  Running this as root with an audio cd
in the drive will result in a track list.  This will be preceded
with the device that was found that accesses the cd, which in my
case was /dev/sg1.  So if the permissions on this device are
correct everything should work.

Hope this helps

Steve