List:       suse-linux-e
Subject:    Re: [SLE] USB mouse
From:       Glenn Williams <n0hn () abq-nm ! com>
Date:       2001-09-23 17:21:20

On Saturday 22 September 2001 18:14, you wrote:
> On Saturday 22 September 2001 09:44 am, Ron White wrote:
> > To the group,
> >
> > For what it's worth.
> >
> > A while back I tried to get  SuSE 7.2 to recognize a usb mouse
> > which was plugged into a usb port.  I got many suggestions from the
> > list, but no matter what I tried it just wouldn't work.

[snip]

> > Ron
>
> I have a ps2 mouse (logitech wheel of some sort) and a usb wacom
> graphire tablet (pen & mouse)  running on 7.2.

[snip]

> heres a piece of my /etc/X11/XF86config file, maybe this will lead
> you to a solution.
>
> Section "InputDevice"
>   Driver  	"mouse"
>   Identifier  	"Mouse[1]"
>   Option 	"Device"  	"/dev/psaux"
>   Option 	"InputFashion"  	"Mouse"
>   Option 	"Name"  	"MOUSEMAN WHEEL"
>   Option 	"Protocol"  	"imps/2"
>   Option 	"Vendor"  	"LOGITECH"
>   Option 	"ZAxisMapping"  	"4 5"
> EndSection
>
> Section "InputDevice"
>   Driver  	"mouse"
>   Identifier  	"Mouse[3]"
>   Option 	"Device"  	"/dev/input/mice"
>   Option 	"InputFashion"  	"Mouse"
>   Option 	"Mode"  	"Absolute"
>   Option 	"Name"  	"Autodetection"
>   Option 	"Protocol"  	"imps/2"
>   Option 	"Vendor"  	"Sysp"
>   Option 	"ZAxisMapping"  	"4 5"
> EndSection
>

> good luck
> dave

Hi, List:

As I said in another reply to this thread, my Logitech MouseMan Wheel
is plugged into a USB port and works fine except it doesn't scroll.  My
/etc/X11/XF86Config file (pointing device section) appears below.  Note
that opposite "Option Protocol" it says "imps/2."

I would rather not screw around with YaST here, but prefer to edit the
appropriate file directly.  In addition to the changes suggested by
Dave Herman, what should replace the "protocol imps/2" part of the file
to make it consistent with the parameters required by a USB device?

Here's my current /etc/X11/XF86Config:

Section "InputDevice"
  Driver        "mouse"
  Identifier    "Mouse[1]"
  Option        "Device"        "/dev/input/mice"
  Option        "Emulate3Buttons"       "on"
  Option        "Emulate3Timeout"       "50"
  Option        "InputFashion"          "Mouse"
  Option        "Name"          "Autodetection"
  Option        "Protocol"      "imps/2"
  Option        "Vendor"        "Sysp"
EndSection

In addition, I have a second mouse, identical to the one I mentioned
above, on a second Linux box.  It is plugged into a ps/2 port.  It
plays like a Wurlitzer, and it also *scrolls*.  I have SuSE 7.2
Personal installed on that machine.

--
Glenn Williams - n0hn@abq-nm.com
Registered Linux User #135678