List:       suse-linux-e
Subject:    Re: [SLE] USB mouse
From:       Glenn Williams <n0hn () abq-nm ! com>
Date:       2001-09-23 16:24:23

On Saturday 22 September 2001 10:44, Ron White wrote:
> To the group,
>
> For what it's worth.
>
> A while back I tried to get  SuSE 7.2 to recognize a usb mouse which
> was plugged into a usb port.  I got many suggestions from the list,
> but no matter what I tried it just wouldn't work.
>
> I took a little poll on this list and no one was using a usb port.
> Everyone used a ps/2 port.
>
> I just installed SuSE 7.2 on a machine that has the same kind of
> mouse, but it's plugged into the ps/2 port, and the mouse was
> recognized and works ok. The wheel even works.
>
> The conclusion I've come to is that you can't use a mouse plugged
> into a usb port.
>
> Ron

Hi, Ron:

Well, true, except for one detail.  I am using a Logitech MouseMan
Wheel, optical mouse with cord, Model M-BD53 on this machine.  I am
running SuSE 7.2 Pro and the machine is a home-brew Pentium 3, 450 MHz.

The mouse is plugged into a USB port.  It does everything but make the
coffee and *scroll* - and I am fairly certain a little time spent on
editing one of the XF86 configuration files would fix that problem.
(Not sure about the coffee-making feature - I might wind up with
espresso.)

The question is: *which* of the XF86 configuration files is the
appropriate one to edit for this version of SuSE Linux.  There are at
least two.

Maybe someone could point us to the appropriate file to edit.  Seems to
me you said you picked the wrong file, and when you edited it, the
mouse no longer worked.

Then again, there may be a difference between SuSE 7.2 Pro and 7.2
Personal.

Regards,

Glenn

--