List:       suse-linux-e
Subject:    updating via ftp
From:       dep <dennispowell () earthlink ! net>
Date:       2001-07-03 22:53:49

maybe someone here has some experience in this; if worse comes to
worst i can, i suppose, do an ftp from my desktop machine, though i
like to keep it all buttoned up.

here's the deal: i am running paid-for 7.1 on the notebook machine
and paid-for 7.2 on the desktop. the notebook is a thinkpad 760 which
does not allow both the floppy and the cd reader at the same time,
and cannot boot from the cd. i tried doing an update from a 7.1 boot
with the 7.2 cd, and it seemed happy until it got to where it told me
to boot from the cd, which i cannot do. this leaves the possibility
of using the boot floppies to get to the update files -- where? can i
point to a suse ftp site and reasonably expect the update to take
place? (the update from cd worked perfectly on my wife's machine, all
settings maintained, no problem -- even had anti-aliasing working by
default, which is pretty cool given her machine's lcd panel.)

anyway, i'm trying to upgrade the suse on the notebook machine via
the easieat route possible.  ideas?
--
dep

there's more to history than what's in books;
that's why it took so long to happen.