List:       suse-kde
Subject:    Re: [opensuse-kde] Adding liquidshell to KDE:Extra
From:       Christophe Giboudeaux <christophe () krop ! fr>
Date:       2019-06-08 14:04:28

Hi,

On samedi 8 juin 2019 14:09:42 CEST Martin Koller wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to request the addition of liquidshell to KDE:Extra
>
> liquidshell is a basic Desktop Shell implemented using QtWidgets.
> It's an alternative to plasmashell
> (I am the author)
>
> The code is now hosted in KDE extragear repository
> https://github.com/KDE/liquidshell
>
> I'm currently already building it on OBS here:
> https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/home:martinkoller/liquidshell

After reading again the discussion on the KDE mailing list and having a look
at your package, it's not ready for the KDE:Extra repository (nor any other).

First the package issues:
- liquidshell is nowhere close to be a "replacement" (as your .spec file
claims) or an alternative to plasmashell.
- Users don't care if it's using QtWidgets or QtQuick.
I strongly suggest rethinking the branding and updating the documentation.

- the current spec file doesn't match the openSUSE standards, start with
running spec-cleaner.

- while at it, also remove the fedora and mandriva compatibility lines. I
doubt this spec file can build anything for these distributions.
- the license tag is also wrong, liquidshell is GPL-3.0-or-later.

Now on the software itself:
I recommend readers of this mailing list to avoid installing this application
but I won't block it if you maintain it and deal with the bug reports.

I'll object to have it submitted to openSUSE:Factory, however.

Christophe