List:       suse-kde
Subject:    Re: [opensuse-kde] Plasma 5.8 and openSUSE 42.2
From:       Martin Schlander <martin.schlander () gmail ! com>
Date:       2016-07-28 11:00:53

Torsdag den 28. juli 2016 11:42:39 skrev Luca Beltrame:
> In data giovedì 28 luglio 2016 11:08:59 CEST, Raymond Wooninck ha scritto:
> > For KDE Applications this situation is even worse as that here in most
> > cases a newer Frameworks and newer Plasma version is required with
>
> Some more points to add to the dicussion:
> Usually Framework dependencies are per-project (which complicates things),
> what we have seen historically is that Plasma *may* require a newer
> Applications version for some functionality (one only case known so far:
> events shown in the calendar).

So how about a model where:

Leap is released with Plasma 5.8. And only gets upstream Plasma 5.8 bugfix
releases via the official update channel.

Frameworks can stay at the initial version. Or it can be upgraded to a newer
version if there are very critical bugs or security issues that are fixed - or
it can be upgraded at the discretion of the KDE team. Personally I'm willing
to gamble on the ABI/API stability of Frameworks. But no point in upgrading
just for the sake of upgrading. I assume Ludwig is OK with this too?

Applications can stay at 16.08.x. Or they can be upgraded if Frameworks is
upgraded first. But personally I'd prefer applications not to have feature
upgrades during the Leap release cycle, as I am a big kdepim user who don't
like surprises ;-)

As I see it, Leap users (i.e. stability and predictability afficionados) and the
KDE team have a common interest in not messing around with Leap more than
necessary. But I could be missing something. We have Tumbleweed and OBS repos
for other use cases.