List:       suse-kde
Subject:    Re: [opensuse-kde] Plasma 5.8 and openSUSE 42.2
From:       Raymond Wooninck <tittiatcoke () gmail ! com>
Date:       2016-07-28 9:08:59

On Wed, Jul 27, 2016 at 7:55 PM, Martin Schlander
<martin.schlander@gmail.com> wrote:
> Onsdag den 27. juli 2016 17:00:11 skrev Luca Beltrame:
> Wouldn't including Plasma 5.8 to begin with reduce the workload? Compared to
> shipping 5.7 and then do a semi-major upgrade later?

We are all on the same page with regards to Plasma.  But Plasma is
just the desktop and nothing else.  Applications like kate, kmail,
kontact, okular, marble, etc are not included in Plasma, but are
released independently with KDE Application releases. These are the
components that Luca was indicating.

> And also doesn't Plasma 5.8 being LTS remove the need for the openSUSE team to
> backport (Plasma) patches? I thought that was more or less the whole idea of
> the LTS. Of course I don't really know how much work goes into shipping the
> Plasma bugfix releases.

As stated before, Plasma LTS release will have a dependency on a
particular Frameworks release, so this we could see as one set. My
expectation is that we would have regular updates for Plasma 5.8 in
the same sense as that we had for kdebase-workspace. However
Frameworks itself does not have an LTS release, so bugfixes will only
be in a newer version. Of course the indication is that Frameworks
will remain API/ABI stable and backwards compatible, but we have never
had that situation. So if we want to keep Frameworks on the starting
release, we would need to start backporting fixes.

For KDE Applications this situation is even worse as that here in most
cases a newer Frameworks and newer Plasma version is required with
every update. So if we select the KDE Applications 16.08 as the main
version (which would be available version at that time), then we would
need to accept the given functionality provided (including the KF5
porting part). At least based on what Ludwig is indicating. As of this
moment this could mean that we have to accept that maybe a number of
bugs can never be fixed as that the fixes can not be backported
(either due to functionality changes or due to available manpower).