List:       suse-kde
Subject:    Re: [opensuse-kde] Installing KDE Apps 5 on 13.1
From:       Stanislav Baiduzhyi <sbaiduzh () redhat ! com>
Date:       2014-10-29 10:10:33

On Tuesday 28 October 2014 11:47:31 Wolfgang Bauer wrote:
> > Also, looks like kinit is required by most of kf5 apps, file open/save
> > dialogs do not work without it.
> You mean, there's a dependency missing?

Yes, runtime dependency. It shows file open/save dialog, but shows error
message that kinit is not running so you will not see any files in that
dialog.

> But I could split out the script, yes. I will think about it. But I guess I
> won't add a dependency on that script to all (application) packages, if
> that's what you have in mind.

Dependency is not really needed, having the script would be more than enough.

> > 1. systemsettings5 fonts module cannot be installed without full plasma5
> > session, and I'm using 6pt font in KDE4 session, which is ignored by
> > oxygen5 completely and default of 9pt is used.
> The fonts KCM is in the package plasma5-desktop, yes, like many other KCMs.
> That's an upstream decision. (it wasn't any different in KDE4 either,
> although they have been split out to the subpackage
> kdebase4-workspace-addons recently) If you install my plasma5-desktop
> package, the fonts settings should work in systemsettings5 even without
> calling the kf5.sh script though.

Yea I understand that your packages are solving it, I just want to make sure I
understand the situation with the upstream, because it sounds highly
illogical. They promise good cooperation between KF5 and any other desktop
including KDE4, even release proper widget styling, and at the same time
package dependencies make it close to impossible to configure those fonts,
styles, color themes. Oh well :) that's good we have you, for next 2 years or
so we'll be able to use some pieces of KF5 still having stable KDE4-based
workstations :)

--
     Regards,
        Stas